Beginner Running Course
8 Week Course
The beginner programme is designed to get you running 5k within 8 weeks. The walk/run/walk/run system gets your body used to running and, with a bit of practice in between sessions, you'll soon find you're doing a lot more running than walking.
TECHNIQUE analysis and tuition is a key part of the course and sessions are designed to give you a running style that will keep you running injury-free. This is YOU giving yourself the time to become a runner.
By the end of the 8 weeks you WILL have the confidence and technique to be able to run 5k comfortably and with improved fitness! SO why not set yourself the challenge of signing up for the RACE FOR LIFE Southampton, Sunday 1st July?
Here is a little bit more about the course and how it's structured to support you in becoming the best runner that you can be. You just need to have a willingness to learn and give it a go, and I can guarantee that you will not believe the progress you will make over the 8 weeks on your journey to that first 5k goal.
Weeks 1-3: Learning the Technique
- Technique assessment & goals.
Walk run, walk run (20 minutes)
- Running posture: Alignment and core activation.
Walk run, walk run (24 minutes)
- Leg mechanics and arm movement
Walk run, walk run (30 minutes)
Weeks 4-6: Building Running Endurance
- Body position: working with gravity
Walk run, walk run (32 minutes)
- Stride frequency and foot landing position
Walk run, walk run (34 minutes)
- Stride length and acceleration
Walk run, walk run (36 minutes)
Weeks 7-8: Increasing Your Running Mileage
- Technique cues
Walk run, walk run (40 minutes)
- Goal and technique review
Run 5k (one walking interval if needed!)
- You will now be ready to take part in your first 5k race!
- Wednesday 16th January 2019
- 18:30 - 19:30
- Clare Molyneux
- £100New Energy Fitness members save £20